This is an oddly specific error, and I don’t have any good screenshots to go with it, so I apologize, but it’s something I stumbled on to last week. When opening Outlook I got a very cryptic error message, but what jumped out at me was in the error it blamed the problem on “DPOfcx.” I found nothing useful about this error online, so I started picking through the computer until I realized it was an issue with HP ProtectTools. Generally, when we ship an HP out from our Help Desk, we uninstall this program (which is a pain in itself, because you need to first uninstall all ProtectTools modules, then the application itself). But this computer still had ProtectTools on it. Some users suggested changing your “DEP” settings in Windows, but that will open up an entirely different can of worms. Here’s the best solution I found:
- Open HP ProtectTools
- Open the Administration Console (on the lower left, I believe was where I found it)
- Click Settings
- Click Applications
- Disable Privacy Manager
- Agree to all of the warnings about disabling it, proceed to disable, etc…
At this point it may even prompt you to reboot, but you can skip this, just try opening up Outlook and leave a comment below to let me know if this worked for you!