I was introduced to Fing recently at work. It is an astonishingly powerful network scanner you can run from a smartphone or tablet. It is available on Android through Google Play or iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch through the iTunes App Store.
- network discovery.
- service scan (TCP port scan).
- DNS lookup.
- Wake on LAN.
- TCP connection tester.
- MAC address and vendor gathering.
- Scans the open ports to find available services. It uses a fast engine that supports hundreds of well-known ports, that you can customize with your own.
- Translates IP addresses to its Domain Names, and reverse.
- Works also with hosts outside your local network.
- Tracks when a device has gone UP or DOWN, keeping disconnected devices in the list.
- Discovers NetBIOS names.